At today’s Sydney University branch meeting of the National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU), members overwhelmingly endorsed a motion presented by Sydney Staff for BDS, condemning Israel’s assault on the Gaza Strip. The motion clearly identifies Israel as the aggressor in this conflict, and points to the need for Israel to abandon its oppressive policies in order to achieve peace. After the NTEU voted earlier in the year to curtail discussion of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions strategy to combat the Israeli occupation, this resolution marks an important step forward in promoting the cause of Palestinian justice on campus.
Motion to condemn Israel’s attack on Gaza
That this meeting of NTEU members of the Sydney University Branch:
- strongly condemns Israel’s attack on the Gaza strip;
- notes that the way for Israel to end rocket attacks is to end the siege and occupation of Palestinian territory;
- draws particular attention to the wide ranging use of indiscriminate military force against civilians in Gaza by the Israeli military, which has so far resulted in hundreds of deaths, over half of which are women and children. Members also strongly condemn attacks on medical facilities such as the Israeli military’s attack on al-Wafa hospital in eastern Gaza City. The al-Wafa hospital receives funds from APHEDA, the union aid body, which is funded by member dues;
- calls on the Australian government to break military ties with Israel;
- affirms its support for political negotiations between democratically elected leaders in the Middle East to reduce violence, promote human rights and ensure compliance with international law in the region.